Sphinxes, Belvedere Gardens, 1030 Vienna

fotos

The pairs of sculptures flanking small staircases along the both sides of the Belvedere gardens date back to the first quarter of the eighteenth century and were restored in the mid-nineteenth century. At that time the stone surfaces were painted with a coat of silicone resin. The damage to the sculptures themselves included above all weathering, numerous cracks, broken and missing pieces, open joints where plants had taken root, moreover we also found salt efflorescence on the plinths. After cleaning, desalination, and biocide treatment, the sphinxes made of calcareous sandstone from the St. Margarethen and Zogelsdorf quarries were given extensive SAE-based consolidation treatment. Missing pieces and joints were filled with artificial stone mixed to match the original material and color. The stone surfaces were whitewashed and treated to ensure water repellency.


Project Data: Sphinxes right (Rennweg)

Address: 1030 Vienna, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse 

Service: Stone restoration
Service period: March to June 2006


Photo Gallery:

Before restoration
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos

Restoration
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos

After restoration
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos

Project Data: Sphinxes left (Prinz-Eugen-Strasse)

Address: 1030 Vienna, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse
Service: Stone restoration
Service period: June 2006 to September 2007


Photo Gallery:

Before restoration
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos

Restaurierung
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos

After restoration
fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos fotos


Last updated: 07/07/2015  Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung