Dominican Church, 1010 Vienna
ing form, the Basilica Minor ad S. Maria Rotundam dates back to 1631–74 and is an important example of the early application of the typological and stylistic vocabulary used in Vienna in Italian church construction during the Counter-Reformation. It was planned by the Liechtenstein-born imperial court architect Giovanni Giacomo Tencalla (1593–1650) and built by Jacopo Spacio (Spatz), Cipriano Biasino, and Antonio Canevale – prominent members of the Master Builder families from around Lake Como (Comaschi). The ornamental parts of the west façade are made of calcareous limestone from Eggenburg. These parts were badly weathered and damaged by numerous cracks and hairline fissures. All surfaces were dirty. On the leeward side where less rain falls there was mineral deposit buildup and partial moss, algae, and lichen growth. The stone parts were consolidated using silicic acetate Wacker OH, (dry) cleaned, and treated with an algaecide. Rusty rebars and anchors were replaced with new stainless steel elements. Finally the stone parts given several layers of whitewash as a protective buffer.
Address: 1010 Vienna, Postgasse
Service: Restoration of the aedicular door surround, coat of arms and cartouche, vessels with flames, niche figures, stone sculptures, and the capitals of the west façade Service period: 2009
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung