Landhaus, 8010 Graz
The Landhaus in Graz, one of the major accomplishments in Austrian Renaissance architecture, was erected from 1557 to 1645. In 2005 and 2006 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. restored the Aflenz and Afram calcareous sandstone of the façades in the arcade courtyards and the connecting passageways. The main objective of this treatment was to conserve the original building, which had suffered major damage due to inappropriate replacement parts and rusting rebars. Missing balusters were replaced by new ones made of same calcareous sandstone used for the originals. The entire façade was painted with multiple coats of pigmented lime slurry, as was common until the 19th century when bare stone façades became fashionable.
Address: 8010 Graz, Herrengasse 16
Service: Façade restoration
Service period: April–September 2005 and August–September 2006
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung