Schubert Park (formerly Währing Cemetery), 1190 Vienna
On the site where Schubert Park is today was originally a cemetery founded in 1769. Funerals took place here until 1873. After numerous exhumations, the grounds were rezoned as a park and gradually landscaped: from 1924/25 on, the park has consisted of two sections – the public gardens and an off-limits monument grounds with its rows of gravestones. Three of these were restored by our company from October 2005 to January 2006. The gravestones, which were made of calcareous sandstone from Leitha with Solnhofen limestone used for the inscription plaques, were carefully dismantled and taken to our studio for treatment. The main focus of the restoration work was to clean the objects: plant growth was removed using low-pressure water blasting; thick encrustations of dirt and mineral deposits, by the JOS low-pressure vortex cleaning procedure. Old unwanted patches including a cement layer covering the female figure on gravestone No. 2 had to be removed manually with the appropriate hand tools. Afterwards, the gravestones were consolidated and missing parts were fashioned out of artificial stone mortar. Finally, the gravestones were treated with a hydrophobic agent, and returned to their original sites. The faded inscriptions were retouched using watercolors.
Address: 1180 Vienna, Teschnergasse 27
Service: Stone restoration
Service period: October 2005 to January 2006
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung