Epitaphs, Monastery Church, 3400 Klosterneuburg
We were commissioned to restore 12 epitaphs built into the façade of the southwest side aisle and choir of the monastery church. Most of the engraved plaques of these funerary monuments are limestone (Adnet marble), decorative or figurative elements are made of calcareous sandstone. The stone parts damaged by air pollution, moisture, salt, or lichen and moss growth were dismantled and restored in the studio or if possible cleaned or repaired on site. In addition to common measures such as cleaning, consolidation, anti-moss treatment, and desalination, complex filling work was also necessary in places, for example Sigmund Schmidt’s aedicula-shaped epitaph (dated 1607) with a calvary/crucifix representation was like a jigsaw puzzle it was broken so badly. We put the pieces back together, cemented them and patched holes. Missing parts were replaced by new pieces made of artificial mortar and reinforced if necessary.
Address: 3400 Klosterneuburg, Stift Klosterneuburg, Stiftsplatz 1
Service: Stone restoration
Service period: April to September 2007
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung