Strudlhofstiege, 1090 Vienna
The staircase was erected in 1910 by Johann Theodor Jäger. Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. was commissioned to conduct a general overhaul of the facility, which it completed from September 2008 to September 2009. The extensive restoration work not only comprised cleaning, ablation of encrusted layers, desalination, and biocide treatment but also the replacement of missing structural and ornamental natural stone elements (Mannersdorf limestone, Waldviertel granite, flysch sandstone, Hungarian “red marble”) and surface treatment including retouching, whitewashing, and the application of a final water-resistant coating. Cleaning was mainly achieved using the BMR low-pressure direct blasting system. Indent repair using natural stone was carried out where architectural parts were missing. As always, materials and surface dressing were chosen to match the original adjacent stones. Klaus Wedenig discovered previously unknown photographs, and based on these it was possible to reconstruct the back wall of the fountain on the first landing of the staircase as it was originally designed: as a mosaic of river-washed pebbles.
Address: 1090 Vienna, Strudlhofstiege
Service: General overhaul
Service period: September 2008 to September 2009
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung