University of Vienna, Façade along Ringstraße, 1010 Vienna
The “New University Building” was designed by Heinrich Ferstl and erected from 1873 to 1884. Unlike the other buildings along the Ringstraße the façades of the university were, for financial reasons, primarily plastered over, with the exception of the plinth zones, which are made of limestone from Wöllersdorf, the architectural elements and figures, which are mostly made of Istrian limestone, the frieze of the main entablature, the spandrel figures in the second-floor arched windows of both side risalits, and smaller ornamental works done in terracotta (Wienerberg ceramic products). Large sections of plaster had become detached from the wall and could have fallen and caused damage or injury. Parts of the ornamental sculptures and individual terracotta elements were also in danger of falling due to rusty fasteners. Thus safety measures were a main concern: broken iron brackets were replaced by stainless steel ones; any still intact reinforcement bars were cleaned and coated with active rust protection (Bleiminium). Friable and loose plaster was anchored or injected with adhesive in order to ensure a solid bond with the support.
Address: 1010 Vienna, Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
Service: Façade restoration
Service period: July to November 2002 and March to July 2003
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung